Wednesday, January 7

Adam A Failed Guardian of the Garden

GK Beale states:

"Adam failed in the task he was commissioned to do, which include not permitting anything unclean and antagonistic to God to enter into the Garden temple...Thus Adam did not guard the Garden, but allowed a foul snake to enter, which brought sin, chaos, and disorder into the sanctuary and into Adam and Eve's lives.  He allowed the serpent to rule over him rather than ruling over it and casting it out of the Garden."  We Become What We Worship, 132.
According to Beale's argument, Adam shouldn't have been surprised at the snake's appearance, but as subduer and ruler of the earth and keeper of the Garden, he should have removed the snake from the Garden.  

It makes me think: what snakes are in the garden I've been entrusted with?  Maybe "sins" haven't been committed yet, but is there a snake that I am overlooking in the garden of my life: my wife, my marriage, my schedule, etc...

It also provides another take on the seeds of the sin of Adam beginning not by a surprise visit of the serpent and conversation with Eve, but as the passive neglect of Adam not ruling and subduing as he should.

0 comments: