Thursday, August 28

Ezekiel's Refrain

A quick ESV search shows me that 22 times the book of Ezekiel says "...then they will know that I am the Lord." The other three times in the Bible it is used, is twice in Isaiah and once in Genesis. The search also shows me that 13 times in the book of Ezekiel it is put this way: "then you will know that I am the Lord." Numbers pops up as another book that mentions it once in this way. One finds a bit of overlap between the verse when searching the difference in this phrase between "you" and "they" in the Bible and in Ezekiel, but the point is clear God desires that "you" and others ("they") know Him.

God through the mouth of the prophet Ezekiel wants to be known as who He is. This refrain in Ezekiel is a key theme of the book. Often, as I mentioned yesterday, it is connected to judgment:

"And my eye will not spare, nor will I have pity. I will punish you according to your ways, while your abominations are in your midst. Then you will know that I am the Lord, who strikes." Ez. 7:9

"Then they will know that I am the Lord, when I have set fire to Egypt, and all her helpers are broken" Ez. 30:8

"I
will make you a perpetual desolation, and your cities shall not be inhabited. Then you will know that I am the Lord. " Ez. 35:9

But it is also connected to mercy:

"And I will multiply on you man and beast, and they shall multiply and be fruitful. And I will cause you to be inhabited as in your former times, and will do more good to you than ever before. Then you will know that I am the Lord." Ez. 36:11

"And I will put my Spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I am the Lord; I have spoken, and I will do it, declares the Lord.” Ez. 37:14

God is a merciful judge. He wants to be known as the God who gives mercy and the God who will respond in judgment. But as James says in James 2:13: "Mercy triumphs over judgment." Thank God for His great mercy. Ezekiel like James shows us this wonderful gift of God. But what is often forgotten is the phrase right before that in James which is also made clear in Ezekiel: "For judgment is without mercy to one who has shown no mercy." That is sobering.

May we know the Lord and seek to know Him better. He is full of mercy, and He will come again in judgment.

0 comments: