Tuesday, January 15

Klosterman is in my Corner

The other day I was reading and I came upon a paragraph in regards to sports that puts forth an argument that reflects the feelings I have had for quite some time but haven't found it written in print before. (Maybe thats for a reason.) Nevertheless here is mi compadre (at least on this particular issue) Chuck Klosterman:

"...I hate the idea that rooting for a team without justification somehow proves that you are traditional, loyal, and 'a true fan.' All it proves is that you're ridiculous, and that you don't really consider the motivations that drive your emotions, and that you probably care more about geography and the color of a uniform than you do about any given sport. I have a sportswriter friend who constantly attempts to paint me as a soulless hypocrite, simply because I adored the Boston Celtics in 1986 but I'm wholly ambivalent toward them today. His argument makes no sense to me. I have no idea why my feelings about an organization twenty years ago should have any effect on how I think now. The modern Celtics have different players, a different coach, a different offense, different management, different ownership, and they play in a different arena; the only similarity between these two squads is that they both wear green and they both used the same parquet floor.

I'm not rooting for flooring." (p. 257) IV, pub. 2007

Now, let's be fair dear Chuck is writing in the wider context of why he hates the Olympics (hence, the article's title: "I do not hate the Olympics"), but it made me feel good, and that's what's important. Right? Well, not really, but at least there is one person on the earth who is in my corner, and that one person is named Chuck (this has nothing to do with anything except for some reason in our culture the fact that one's name is Chuck is outdated and cool at the exact same time).

Of course, I don't think other's with the opposing view are ridiculous, but knowing Chuck (er...reading Chuck) neither does he.

0 comments: