Sunday, January 20

Fearing what you should Fear - Our First New Church Visit

My wife and I's church that we were a part of is no longer, so we are in the process of looking for another church. The church that we went to this week was Centerpointe Community Church in Eureka, CA.

I really appreciated Pastor Chuck Starnes' message. I can't tell you how refreshing (and convicting!) it is that the first church we go to visit preaches on the fear of God. His introduction was:

"My fear is that you would fear things you shouldn't fear and not fear the things you should."

How true this is, but how often do most American pastors have this fear for their congregation. In my view, it takes much love from a pastor to preach on fearing God. I appreciated Pastor Chuck's loving word to me that I need to fear what is most important. I need to check my values, my dreams, my fears, in light of the reality of the holy God of the universe.

He gave these three bullet points:

1. You cannot hide from the consequences of your sin.

This was contextualized by exhortations away from sexual sin and away from pride and toward confession because God forgives.

2. Being afraid of what people think can be a trap.

Basically this was: Do not fear man, fear God. Do you value God's opinion or man's opinion?

3. You cannot assume the mercy of God.

Do not presume upon God's mercy. God never owes of mercy. He only owes us judgment. His mercy is freely given out of grace, and this is good news 'cause God is gracious.

Another great aspect of this sermon is that it was all clothed in the book of Genesis, which is the book that he has been going through for quite some time. In that narrative we consistently see God's judgment and God's mercy, and the sins and successes of God's people.

It was a good reminder that the wise fear God. May God bless this church.

0 comments: