Friday, October 5

Celebrate the Steps

The following quotation contains a wonderful analogy from Matt Chandler pastor of the Village Church in Texas:

I've used this illustration 14 times since I've been a pastor here. I make no apologies for using it again tonight. It is the best word picture I know.

When my daughter first walked I don't think it was her intention to do so. I think she had a gigantic head. I think she let go of the coffee table, her fat head fell forward, in order to save her own life as the head fell, she put her foot out. That created what's known in physics as momentum. All right? So that step led to that step led to that step and she fell on the ground and we celebrated. An epic celebration of all things good. We're making cupcakes, we are partying because why? She's walking! I mean my kid is walking and for the next 3 or 4 months she can only take 6,7,8, 10 steps tops before she falls over and every time we giggle and laugh and celebrate. And not only that, but the poor kids becomes like show and tell thing every time somebody new comes over. "Watch this…..ye, yea….YEAH!!!!! And we celebrate the kid's walking even though I don't think she decided to. I think it just progressed…right? And here's the thing, never, ever, ever, did I even think about the falls. I just loved that she was walking. I mean we just, I mean never did I go "When's this kid going to learn! I mean it's been 5-6 months. I can do it. Her mom can. For a milk dud I can get the dog on his back legs walking around the kitchen. No, no, you celebrate the steps. You celebrate the steps. And when she falls, look at me, as often as she falls, never have we ever been frustrated by the falls. If anything, see she's 3 now, she's running about an 8 240, which we're trying to get that down but that's all we got right now. There's flip-flops involved now and man, sometimes the falls are bad. In fact, sometimes the falls bring blood and tears, and I still never find myself frustrated by the falls. But I do find myself when those falls occur kissing booboos, putting Band-Aids on bloody knees, holding and kissing until the tears are gone and she feels safe to run again. And then put her down and let her run again.

So it is with our Father, who rejoices in the steps and heals the falls. So it is with our Father who loves to see us run and doesn't tire of picking us up when we've fallen. See, that's the good news in all this. The good news is for the man or woman who's running towards Him. That the falls do not appoint us to suffer wrath but mercy. Mercy towards iniquity, in fact, He says, "I've forgotten all about the fall. In fact, I was so excited about you running that I forgot that you even fell. I was so excited about the fact that you were moving and you were running and you were healthy that I don't even remember that you fell." While most of us beat ourselves up over the fall. Jesus is going "What fall? I just saw you running!"


Source: Sermon text and audio.

0 comments: