Thursday, February 19

Worshipping with Fat and Kidneys

I began Leviticus today, and every time I read Leviticus I want to know and understand more. When I come to this book I often find myself confused, at best, and completely lost, at worst. Well, I should not say completely, 'cause actually the completion and fulfillment of all the book of Leviticus requires is in the person and work of Jesus Christ. This reality is compelling shown by the writer of the Hebrews. However, there is still much in Leviticus to be mined that is helpful and beneficial to all new covenant believers.

Leviticus is not a waste of time. Just because one knows Jesus doesn't mean one should just forget about Leviticus and get to Hebrews. I am confident there is more here in Leviticus that is helpful to me and to all believers. Today a commentary helped me with things like animal fat and kidneys...

Gordon J Wenham:

"The reason for the prohibition of eating fat remains obscure. Calvin may well be right in thinking that fat was thought of as specially belonging to God. Certainly fat in the OT can be synonymous with 'the best' (Gen. 45:18, Ps. 81:17 [Eng. 16]. By giving the fat the worshipper was giving the best of the animal; and insofar as the animal was thought to represent the man, the worshipper showed he was giving God the best part of life.

The kidneys were also picked out to be burned on the altar as well as the fat surrounding them and the intestines. It is likely that some symbolism was attached to this gesture. The kidneys and entrails are referred to in the OT as the seat of the emotions (Job 19:27; Ps. 16:7; Jer. 4:14; 12:2), just as in English we talk of the heart. (The heart in the OT refers primarily to the mind and will.) It is possible that offering the kidneys and internal fat symbolizes the dedication of the worshipper's best and deepest emotions to God. For the peace offering was often tendered in intrinsically emotional situations, when a man made vows or found himself seeking God's deliverance or praising him for his mercy." The Book of Leviticus, NICOT, 80-81.
What I learned: Worship is very specific and holistic. Leviticus is rigorous in what it requires of the Israelite worshippers. This hasn't changed. God's desire is that I worship Him, and that I worship him with my mind, will, and emotions, and that I offer my life, the best in my life, to Him.

That is to say, I learned today that I need to worship God with my fat and my kidneys, but only to do so trusting Jesus who makes my worship clean and pleasing to God.

2 comments:

Unknown February 22, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

I think we often get it into our heads that we can approach God on our terms, when we're ready. I remember reading Leviticus recently and feeling as if my perspective was shifted. We Christians are blessed in that we can come before the throne of God with confidence and openly, because of the work of Christ. Much of the laws put forth in Leviticus can seems tedious and, to our darkened minds, picky. Yet, I was shown that God is so holy that we must come to Him on His terms, even if these terms seem ungraspable. What an amazing relief that Christ has fulfilled the whole law and that through Him we have access to God. How absolutely breathtaking that Christ fulfills the whole law.
I needed/need a good reminder of the awesomeness of Christ. Sometimes it's found in the most interesting places. Praise God for inspired writings.

BJ Stockman February 26, 2009 at 11:53 AM  

Thanks for the comment Levi.

The holiness of God is stunning and frightening and beautiful at the same time. Leviticus definitely makes one run to Jesus alone for salvation.