Thursday, December 13

The Globe's

I definitely enjoy a good film and look forward to the nominations for movie awards. Today the Golden Globe nominees came out:

Best Drama

“American Gangster,” “Atonement,” “Eastern Promises,” “The Great Debaters,” “Michael Clayton,” “No Country for Old Men,” “There Will Be Blood.”

I've only seen two of those films, AG and MC, and I'd have to give the nod to American Gangster over Michael Clayton, but both were very good.

My wife and I are looking forward to Atonement. Sadly, its not here this Friday where we are located. That would have been my date night pick...not this week.

After reading The Road last Christmas, I spent the year enthralled with Cormac McCarthy novels, so I've been trying to fit No Country for Old Men into my schedule.

Finally, off this list I am awaiting to be stunned by the acting of Daniel Day Lewis and the directing of PTA's There Will Be Blood.

Best Actress - Drama

Cate Blanchett, “Elizabeth: The Golden Age”; Julie Christie, “Away From Her”; Jodie Foster, “The Brave One”; Angelina Jolie, “A Mighty Heart”; Keira Knightley, “Atonement.”

I have seen none of these, but I'm pulling for Keira.

Best Actor - Drama

George Clooney, “Michael Clayton”; Daniel Day-Lewis, “There Will Be Blood”; James McAvoy, “Atonement”; Viggo Mortensen, “Eastern Promises”; Denzel Washington, “American Gangster.”

Denzel is a good gangster, but he will always be my Creasy Bear (sp?). Clooney does a great job as the complex and guilty Michael Clayton. But, I'm most looking forward to Daniel Day's performance. I still can't get his portrayal of the Butcher in Gangs of New York out of my head, and the occasional Mohican echoes of "I will find you" resonating in my heart.

For the rest: here's the list.

1 comments:

mickey December 13, 2007 at 9:25 PM  

I enjoyed your Hollywood critique of Golden Globe nominees & movies...my mom would have loved talking Hollywood talk with you...Maybe we can have a double movie date nite when you guys arrive?