Wednesday, December 26

Decisions

"This committee was assisted by a group of scientists, of whome those most prominently connected with the development of the atomic bomb...The conclusions reached by these men, both in the advosory committee of scientists and in the larger committee, were brought to me by Secretary Stimson on June 1.

It was their recommendation that the bomb be used against the enemy as soon as it could be done. They recommended further that it should be used without specific warning and against a target that would clearly show its devestating strength. I had realized, of course, that an atomic bomb explosion would inflict damage and casualties beyond imagination...It was their conclusion that no technical demonstration they might propose, such as over a deserted island, would be likely to bring the war to an end. It had to be used against an enemy target.

The final decision of where and when to use the atomic bomb was up to me. Let there be no mistake about it. I regarded the bomb as a military weapon and never had any doubt that it should be used. The top military advisers to the President recommended its use, and when I talked to Churchill he unhesitatingly told me that he favored the use of the atomic bomb if it might aid to end the war...

I had made the decision. I also instructed Stimson that the order would stand unless I notified him that the Japanese reply to our ultimatum was acceptable...

On July 28 Radio Tokyo anounced that the Japanese government would continue to fight. There was no formal reply to the joint ultimatum of the United States, the United Kingdom, and China. There was no alternative now. The bomb was scheduled to be dropped after August 3 unless Japan surrendered before that day.

On August 6...came the historic news that shook the world. I was eating lunch...Captain Frank Graham, White House Map Room watch officer, handed me the following message:

'...Hiroshima bombed visually with only one tenth cover at 052315A. There was no fighter opposition and no flak. Parsons reports 15 minutes after drop as follows: 'Results clear cut successful in all respects. Visible effects greater than in any test. Conditions normal in airplane following delivery.'

I was greatly moved. I telephoned Byrnes aboard ship to give him the news and then said to the group of sailors around me, 'This is the greatest thing in history. It's time for us to get home.'" (pp. 419-421.)

Truman, Harry. Memoirs by Harry S. Truman: Year of Decisions, Volume I, Doubleday, 1955.

0 comments: